is manually triggered major-compaction forcing a memstore flush

is manually triggered major-compaction forcing a memstore flush

Eric Owhadi
Hi Hbaseers,
I am working on a project were we are preparing data on a daily basis, and then have it in a form fast to read.
So I am considering moving the data away from mem-store down to block cache.
So I need to flush and major compact. But I was wondering if I need to issue both commands, or if manually triggered major compaction include a silent flush before doing the actual major compaction?
Thanks in advance for the help,
Eric Owhadi

Re: is manually triggered major-compaction forcing a memstore flush

Enis Söztutar
Major compaction will not trigger flush. You have to issue that manually.
BTW, you can look at the settings related to "cache on flush" so that when
the flusher writes the files, the blocks can go directly to the block
cache.

Enis

On Mon, May 29, 2017 at 7:45 PM, Eric Owhadi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Hbaseers,
> I am working on a project were we are preparing data on a daily basis, and
> then have it in a form fast to read.
> So I am considering moving the data away from mem-store down to block
> cache.
> So I need to flush and major compact. But I was wondering if I need to
> issue both commands, or if manually triggered major compaction include a
> silent flush before doing the actual major compaction?
> Thanks in advance for the help,
> Eric Owhadi

Re: Re: is manually triggered major-compaction forcing a memstore flush

Eric Owhadi
Thanks Enis,
Very helpful,
Eric