how to use new shell from trunk ?

Acure
Hello

  i checkout hbase from trunk and i see that there is new version of the
hbase shell. i see in comments that it base on jruby..., but how can i
use it ? unfortunatelly old shell has been removed.

   Best regards - Antony

Re: how to use new shell from trunk ?

stack-3
Shell support is in a state of flux at the moment.

Meantime, your  only avenue is typing ruby at the proffered irb prompt.
See this page for example code: http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/Hbase/JRuby

St.Ack

[hidden email] wrote:
> Hello
>
>   i checkout hbase from trunk and i see that there is new version of the
> hbase shell. i see in comments that it base on jruby..., but how can i
> use it ? unfortunatelly old shell has been removed.
>
>    Best regards - Antony

Re: how to use new shell from trunk ?

Krzysztof Szlapinski
Is the old shell gone forever?
We used to use it extensively in our project, mainly for table creation
and debugging.
Maybe the old shell will still work with the hbase from trunk?

krzysiek

> Shell support is in a state of flux at the moment.
>
> Meantime, your  only avenue is typing ruby at the proffered irb
> prompt.  See this page for example code:
> http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/Hbase/JRuby
>
> St.Ack
>

> [hidden email] wrote:
>> Hello
>>
>>   i checkout hbase from trunk and i see that there is new version of the
>> hbase shell. i see in comments that it base on jruby..., but how can i
>> use it ? unfortunatelly old shell has been removed.
>>
>>    Best regards - Antony

Re: how to use new shell from trunk ?

stack-3
HQL is being cut from HBase for release 0.2.  Intent is to put something
better in its place (HBASE-487).  Sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Any particular reason you are pegged against TRUNK rather than the 0.1.2
release?
St.Ack

Krzysztof Szlapinski wrote:

> Is the old shell gone forever?
> We used to use it extensively in our project, mainly for table
> creation and debugging.
> Maybe the old shell will still work with the hbase from trunk?
>
> krzysiek
>> Shell support is in a state of flux at the moment.
>>
>> Meantime, your  only avenue is typing ruby at the proffered irb
>> prompt.  See this page for example code:
>> http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/Hbase/JRuby
>>
>> St.Ack
>>

>> [hidden email] wrote:
>>> Hello
>>>
>>>   i checkout hbase from trunk and i see that there is new version of
>>> the
>>> hbase shell. i see in comments that it base on jruby..., but how can i
>>> use it ? unfortunatelly old shell has been removed.
>>>
>>>    Best regards - Antony

Re: how to use new shell from trunk ?

acure-2
Krzysztof Szlapinski pisze:
> Is the old shell gone forever?
> We used to use it extensively in our project, mainly for table
> creation and debugging.
> Maybe the old shell will still work with the hbase from trunk?

    yea - you are right  - this old shell (except its bugs) was realy
usefully tool (eg. for simply and fast viewing data, or table creation).

stack pisze:
> HQL is being cut from HBase for release 0.2.  Intent is to put
> something better in its place (HBASE-487).  Sorry for any
> inconvenience caused.
>
> Any particular reason you are pegged against TRUNK rather than the
> 0.1.2 release?
    we love to use fresh staff.  i think thats it's realy good way to
change it to jruby with all its features.

   Antony