TimeBoundedRequestsWithRegionReplicas with unbalance monkey

TimeBoundedRequestsWithRegionReplicas with unbalance monkey

Balazs Meszaros
Hi Enis,

We run IntegrationTestTimeBoundedRequestsWithRegionReplicas integration
test in our test infrastructure with unbalance chaos monkey. According to
the comment on the class, this test works only with serverKilling monkey.
With unbalance monkey it also works if I increase get_timeout_ms to 15
seconds instead of the default 5 seconds timeout.

1. Are there any reasons why should we only test it with serverKilling
monkey?
2. Is it okay for the unbalance monkey if we increase the timeout to 15
seconds or should it also work for 5 seconds timeout?

Thanks,
Balazs

Re: TimeBoundedRequestsWithRegionReplicas with unbalance monkey

Enis Söztutar-2
Hey,

I don't know whether you are familiar with the different policies that the
named chaos monkeys implement. The test is testing backup RPCs when you
kill the servers. The unbalance monkey is a very specific one that does
unbalance + rolling kill all the servers. If you read the comments for the
test, it needs the meta server to not be killed because it assumes that you
are deploying without the meta replicas (I think the test has been
developed before the meta replicas were there).

I think you CAN run the test with the unbalance, but the intention for it
was to be run with the server killing one. I would look into why you need
to increase the timeout (maybe meta recovers under 15 secs?).

Enis