Quantcast

Storing images in Hbase

123

Storing images in Hbase

kavishahuja
Hello EVERYBODY
first of all, a happy new year to everyone !!
I need a small help regarding pushing images into apache HBase(DB)...i know its about converting objects into bytes and then saving those bytes into hbase rows. But still i cant do it.
Kindly help !!

Regards,
Kavish

答复: Storing images in Hbase

谢良
Just out of curiousity, why not considering a blob storage system ?

Best Regards,
Liang

Re: 答复: Storing images in Hbase

Mohit Anchlia
IMHO Use dfs unread for blobs and use Hbase for meta data

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 5, 2013, at 7:58 PM, 谢良 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Just out of curiousity, why not considering a blob storage system ?
>
> Best Regards,
> Liang

答复: 答复: Storing images in Hbase

谢良
HBase is not the best choice for blob(photo/image/...) storage(file sizes are ofter smaller than tens of MB).

Here are several blob storage systems :
google blob storage : https://developers.google.com/appengine/docs/java/blobstore/overview
facebook haystack : http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=76191543919
twitter : http://engineering.twitter.com/2012/12/blobstore-twitters-in-house-photo.html
taobao tfs :  http://code.taobao.org/p/tfs/src/trunk/src/ (https://github.com/taobao/tfs)

IMHO Use dfs unread for blobs and use Hbase for meta data

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 5, 2013, at 7:58 PM, 谢良 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Just out of curiousity, why not considering a blob storage system ?
>
> Best Regards,
> Liang

Re: Storing images in Hbase

Damien Hardy
Hi there,
Thank you, and happy new year.
I had the same problematic and wrote a python module⁰ for thumbor¹
I use the Thrift interface for HBase to store image blobs.
As allready said you have to keep images blob quite small (for latency
problematic in web you have to keep them small too) ~100ko, so HBase should
keep good performances.

BTW Stumbleupon store all its assets in HBase :
http://bb10.com/java-hadoop-hbase-user/2012-03/msg00054.html

[0] https://github.com/dhardy92/thumbor_hbase
[1] https://github.com/globocom/thumbor/wiki

Cheers,

--
Damien

Le 6 janv. 2013 04:46, "kavishahuja" <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> *Hello EVERYBODY
> first of all, a happy new year to everyone !!
> I need a small help regarding pushing images into apache HBase(DB)...i know
> its about converting objects into bytes and then saving those bytes into
> hbase rows. But still i cant do it.
> Kindly help !! *
>
> Regards,
> Kavish

Re: Storing images in Hbase

Yusup Ashrap

Re: Storing images in Hbase

Andrew Purtell
Also YFrog / ImageShack serves all of its assets out of HBase too, so for
reasonably sized images some are having success. See
http://www.slideshare.net/jacque74/hug-hbase-presentation

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)

Re: Storing images in Hbase

Asaf Mesika
What's the penalty performance wise of saving a very large value in a
KeyValue in hbase? Splits, scans, etc.

Sent from my iPad

On 6 בינו 2013, at 22:12, Andrew Purtell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Also YFrog / ImageShack serves all of its assets out of HBase too, so for
> reasonably sized images some are having success. See
> http://www.slideshare.net/jacque74/hug-hbase-presentation
>

> On Sun, Jan 6, 2013 at 3:58 AM, Yusup Ashrap <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> there are a lot great discussions on Quora on this topic.
>>
>> http://www.quora.com/Apache-Hadoop/Is-HBase-appropriate-for-indexed-blob-storage-in-HDFS
>> http://www.quora.com/Is-it-possible-to-use-HDFS-HBase-to-serve-images
>>
>> http://www.quora.com/What-is-a-good-choice-for-storing-blob-like-files-in-a-distributed-environment
>>

> --
> Best regards,
>
>   - Andy

> (via Tom White)

Re: Storing images in Hbase

Amandeep Khurana
To add to Andy's point - storing images in HBase is fine as long as
the size of each image isn't huge. A couple for MBs per row in HBase
do just fine. But once you start getting into 10s of MBs, there are
more optimal solutions you can explore and HBase might not be the best
bet.

Amandeep

On Jan 6, 2013, at 12:12 PM, Andrew Purtell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Also YFrog / ImageShack serves all of its assets out of HBase too, so for
> reasonably sized images some are having success. See
> http://www.slideshare.net/jacque74/hug-hbase-presentation
>

> On Sun, Jan 6, 2013 at 3:58 AM, Yusup Ashrap <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> there are a lot great discussions on Quora on this topic.
>>
>> http://www.quora.com/Apache-Hadoop/Is-HBase-appropriate-for-indexed-blob-storage-in-HDFS
>> http://www.quora.com/Is-it-possible-to-use-HDFS-HBase-to-serve-images
>>
>> http://www.quora.com/What-is-a-good-choice-for-storing-blob-like-files-in-a-distributed-environment
>

> --
> Best regards,
>
>   - Andy

> (via Tom White)

Re: Storing images in Hbase

Andrew Purtell
What do you mean by "very large"?

One possible source of performance concern is HBase RPC does not do
positioned/chunked/partial reads, so both on the RegionServer and client
the entirety of value data will be in the heap. A lot of really large
objects brought in this way under high concurrency can cause excessive GC
from fragmentation or OOME conditions if the heap isn't adequately sized.
The recommendation of ~10 MB max is to mitigate these effects. There is
nothing scientific about that number though, it's a rule of thumb, I've
built HBase applications with a max value size of 100 MB and it performed
adequately. (Larger objects were split into 100 MB chunks and keyed as
$rowkey$chunk where $chunk was an integer serialized with Bytes.toInt()).

Another is a consequence of the fact a row cannot be split. This means that
if the data in a single row grows significantly larger than the region
split threshold, you will have this one region sized differently from the
others, and this can lead to unexpected behavior. Consider if the split
threshold is 2 GB but your one row contains 10 GB as really large value.
This is undesirable because HBase expects housekeeping on a given region to
be more or less equal to others: compaction, etc.

From the application POV, if you have a few really big value size outliers,
then these could be like land mines if the app is short scanning over table
data. Gets or Scans including such values will have widely varying latency
from others. But this would be an application design problem.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)

Re: Storing images in Hbase

Andrew Purtell
I meant this to say "a few really large values"

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)

Re: Storing images in Hbase

Mohit Anchlia
I have done extensive testing and have found that blobs don't belong in the
databases but are rather best left out on the file system. Andrew outlined
issues that you'll face and not to mention IO issues when compaction occurs
over large files.

On Sun, Jan 6, 2013 at 12:52 PM, Andrew Purtell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I meant this to say "a few really large values"
>
> On Sun, Jan 6, 2013 at 12:49 PM, Andrew Purtell <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Consider if the split threshold is 2 GB but your one row contains 10 GB
> as
> > really large value.
>

>  --
> Best regards,
>
>    - Andy

> (via Tom White)

Re: Storing images in Hbase

Jack Levin
We stored about 1 billion images into hbase with file size up to 10MB.
 Its been running for close to 2 years without issues and serves
delivery of images for Yfrog and ImageShack.  If you have any
questions about the setup, I would be glad to answer them.

-Jack

On Sun, Jan 6, 2013 at 1:09 PM, Mohit Anchlia <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have done extensive testing and have found that blobs don't belong in the
> databases but are rather best left out on the file system. Andrew outlined
> issues that you'll face and not to mention IO issues when compaction occurs
> over large files.
>
> On Sun, Jan 6, 2013 at 12:52 PM, Andrew Purtell <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I meant this to say "a few really large values"
>>
>> On Sun, Jan 6, 2013 at 12:49 PM, Andrew Purtell <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > Consider if the split threshold is 2 GB but your one row contains 10 GB
>> as
>> > really large value.
>>

>>  --
>> Best regards,
>>
>>    - Andy

>> (via Tom White)

Re: Storing images in Hbase

kavishahuja
hello jack,
You are a savior.. Can you share your email id or mail me at kavishahuja@yahoo.com

I am simple doing this thing at a very small level

I am simply developing a web application (with a REST web service)  which stores images into HBase. And a user using the web app can ustire and fetch his images (which are in hbase).
Your help is valuable !

Cheers and thanks a lot sir !

Re: Storing images in Hbase

kavishahuja
hello jack,
You are a savior.. Can you share your email id or mail me at kavishahuja at yahoo dot com

I am simple doing this thing at a very small level

I am simply developing a web application (with a REST web service)  which stores images into HBase. And a user using the web app can ustire and fetch his images (which are in hbase).
Your help is valuable !

Cheers and thanks a lot sir !

Re: Storing images in Hbase

Leonid Fedotov
Jack,
yes, this is very interesting to know your setup details.
Could you please provide more information?
Or we can take this off the list if you like…

Thank you!

Sincerely,
Leonid Fedotov

On Jan 10, 2013, at 9:24 AM, Jack Levin wrote:

> We stored about 1 billion images into hbase with file size up to 10MB.
> Its been running for close to 2 years without issues and serves
> delivery of images for Yfrog and ImageShack.  If you have any
> questions about the setup, I would be glad to answer them.
>
> -Jack
>
> On Sun, Jan 6, 2013 at 1:09 PM, Mohit Anchlia <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I have done extensive testing and have found that blobs don't belong in the
>> databases but are rather best left out on the file system. Andrew outlined
>> issues that you'll face and not to mention IO issues when compaction occurs
>> over large files.
>>
>> On Sun, Jan 6, 2013 at 12:52 PM, Andrew Purtell <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> I meant this to say "a few really large values"

>>> as
>>>

>>> --
>>> Best regards,
>>>
>>>   - Andy
>>>
>>> Problems worthy of attack prove their worth by hitting back. - Piet Hein
>>> (via Tom White)

Re: Storing images in Hbase

Jean-Marc Spaggiari
It might be interesting to share that here, just in case someone else
is facing the same usecase?

JM

2013/1/10, Leonid Fedotov <[hidden email]>:

> Jack,
> yes, this is very interesting to know your setup details.
> Could you please provide more information?
> Or we can take this off the list if you like…
>
> Thank you!
>
> Sincerely,
> Leonid Fedotov
>
> On Jan 10, 2013, at 9:24 AM, Jack Levin wrote:
>
>> We stored about 1 billion images into hbase with file size up to 10MB.
>> Its been running for close to 2 years without issues and serves
>> delivery of images for Yfrog and ImageShack.  If you have any
>> questions about the setup, I would be glad to answer them.
>>
>> -Jack
>>
>> On Sun, Jan 6, 2013 at 1:09 PM, Mohit Anchlia <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>> I have done extensive testing and have found that blobs don't belong in
>>> the
>>> databases but are rather best left out on the file system. Andrew
>>> outlined
>>> issues that you'll face and not to mention IO issues when compaction
>>> occurs
>>> over large files.

Re: Storing images in Hbase

Tariq
Jack, Leonid,

    I request you guys to please continue the discussion
through the thread itself if possible for you both. I would
like to know about Jack's setup. I too find it quite interesting.

Many thanks.

Warm Regards,
Tariq
https://mtariq.jux.com/

On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 12:50 AM, Leonid Fedotov
<[hidden email]>wrote:

> Jack,
> yes, this is very interesting to know your setup details.
> Could you please provide more information?
> Or we can take this off the list if you like…
>
> Thank you!
>
> Sincerely,
> Leonid Fedotov
>
> On Jan 10, 2013, at 9:24 AM, Jack Levin wrote:
>
> > We stored about 1 billion images into hbase with file size up to 10MB.
> > Its been running for close to 2 years without issues and serves
> > delivery of images for Yfrog and ImageShack.  If you have any
> > questions about the setup, I would be glad to answer them.
> >
> > -Jack
> >
> > On Sun, Jan 6, 2013 at 1:09 PM, Mohit Anchlia <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >> I have done extensive testing and have found that blobs don't belong in
> the
> >> databases but are rather best left out on the file system. Andrew
> outlined
> >> issues that you'll face and not to mention IO issues when compaction
> occurs
> >> over large files.

> GB

> Hein

Re: Storing images in Hbase

kavishahuja
okay tariq,
are you into hbase and stuff ?

Re: Storing images in Hbase

Doug Meil

+1.

This question comes up enough on the dist-list it's worth getting some
pointers on record.

123